Sunday 7 March 2010

Irony Isn't My Strong Point

SAD is seen to be one of those 'trendy' syndromes - one of a long list of complaints not taken seriously in the immediate and attention seeking daily life. To be fair, I've been to the doctors complaining that I have the bladder of a 94 year old granny (94 isn't specific - it could be plus or minus a few years...). Despite it being an absolute pain in the (extract a terrible pun), causing me to run to the toilet to pee literally every ten minutes, and almost take myself to bankruptcy through my sheer buying power of toilet roll, I was laughed out of the clinic and probably the butt of the GP coffee room jokes for months to come.

Back to my original, uninspiring and unimaginative point - it's amazing how effective waking up to clear blue skies can be to your mood. Seasonal Affective Disorder...you'd think more people would have cottoned on living in a country where all it takes is for the sky to be less than 50% cloud covered for the population to start wondering around town in shorts and flip flops. Sun starvation. It's a powerful thing.

Enter the stupidity. I decide to risk ruining my mood by tuning into iPlayer Radio 4. Of all the interesting, culturally diverse, and perhaps even comical programs I could have listened to, I feel I am being wise, nourishing my intellect with a half hour slot on 'Tea Party Politics in the US'. How is it that such a ridiculous 'ideology' gets to tar such a beautiful act - the Tea Party. Images come to mind...a fusion of my mum in her twin set and pearls berating a jittering lunatic who thinks Communism, fascism and democracy are all the same thing. Sorry. It's too early to be politically correct. There's nothing like politics to ruin your good mood.

This is all making me sound far more intelligent and studious than I am. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first person to throw a jigger (aka remote control - don't laugh, I have a weird mixture of Belgian, Welsh with a sprinkling of Portuguese roots that causes me to say some ridiculous things) at the television because the public have voted the wrong person to win 'So you think you can dance'.

The sun persists. The smell or roast and crumble emanate from the kitchen. I managed (almost in record time of under an hour) to get a brush through my hair....It feels good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment