Sunday 28 March 2010

Wear those trousers high

Recent activities have brought about a resurgence in my interest in men who wear their trousers high. And when I say high, I mean knocking on the door of 1996 high.

Replace 'interest' with the word 'amusement' and actually that statement would be more apt.

The first such spotting was in Village Underground at Nabokov Arts Club last week. After turning up late and missing the poetry and theatre (big loss of brownie points when it comes down to trying to appear creative among the ever-difficult-to-impress east London crowd) I feel I regained some face by looking suitably intrigued at the contemporary dance routine and creating my own Lego family scene in a dolls house, perfected by the naked boy with white sneakers.

This is unfair actually. I genuinely was intrigued by the dance - who wouldn't be drawn in by 6 people hunched over, flexing around the stage in a re-mixed scenario of the Gestapo.

Back to the story.

Updating someones incredibly talented drawing of a teddy bear with fluorescent body-paint and the words "tribal bear" (so it lacked creativity, but I could never compete with a friend's interpretation of the world with tears dropping down..so i simply didn't) gave me the perfect excuse to do a not-so-subtle sneaky photo of me with an incredibly dressed man. I instantly fell in love with him. And this was for one reason - he was wearing a leather jacket tied around his waist at roughly the height of his armpits.

So my expectations for the week were pretty high, and never could I have believed this moment would be topped. But it was. On Thursday at a Sleghbells gig at Notting Hill Arts Club (if only I could be measured by how many nights I went to with 'arts' in the title...people might actually believe I was cultured) I was struck by the image of a man straight out of a Boyzone video, black jeans, white ribbed t-shirt (tucked in, high, of course) and the most fantastic leather necklace with a silver yin yang symbol on it*.

I feel fuelled by all these sightings of incredible men and I genuinely fall in love with them at first sight. Every time.

This might sound like I'm taking the michael, but I'm not. Irony, as I continually say, is not my strong point. I genuinely believe that the 90's had something to teach us about the practicality of fashion - keep it simple, tied around the waist, and wear it high. A-mazing.




* I had this necklace when I was a teenager. I officially love it. I officially still do.

No comments:

Post a Comment